Sri Lanka tickets

daveshaw74

We are planning an independent holiday to Sri Lanka in March. What is the best way to buy tickets for the first three days of the Galle test match? Can we buy at the ground, or do we need to purchase through expensive ticket agency?
(We are UK citizens). Many thanks to anyone who can advise.

YorkshireHat

Buy direct from the Lanka cricket website and either collect in person the day before, or arrange your hotel to collect for you and pay them whatever you agree on.

DC Burnside

Where do the BA typically congregate at the ground in Galle? Is it a walkable ground? IE will we need to purchase for a particular section? Also having to travel independently.

daveshaw74

This will be my first visit. The ground is adjoining Galle Fort right on the sea front, and very close to the station, and appears to be easily accessible. Seems to be lots of decent reasonably priced accommodation within a mile of the ground. We have booked 7 nights for £150 (for two) in nice villa.

AndyBarmyArmy

Administrator
Buy direct from the Lanka cricket website and either collect in person the day before, or arrange your hotel to collect for you and pay them whatever you agree on.
Last tour SLC put a very limited amount of tickets on bookmyshow.com after coming under severe pressure from the Barmy Army campaign highlighting the rip off prices being charged by their exclusive agent Island Leisure Lanka. If you don’t want to pay £56 a day for an advance ticket (currently the only option) then be prepared to buy a grass bank ticket on the day for a fraction of the price.

Geordiebri

Hi folks, this will be my 5th visit to Sri Lanka and I have always bought on the day from the ground. You have to queue so allow an hour or so before the game, I missed the first 3 overs once in Colombo. If you are on a budget, you can watch the Galle test for free from the Galle Fort battlements, no facilities but a short walk to bars and restaurants in The Fort, well worth a look even if you have paid to get into the ground! Some people I have met in the past have made arrangements with their hotel and the tickets have been waiting for them - at a small cost. I am staying in the old hippy hangout of Hikkaduwa, a tuk tuk ride north of Galle, then up to Colombo for the second test. On April 1st I then fly to Mumbai, Bangalore, then back to Mumbai to take in a few IPL matches, can't wait! South Africa first though for the first two tests, what a way to spend your retirement, I love it!!

DC Burnside

Last tour SLC put a very limited amount of tickets on bookmyshow.com after coming under severe pressure from the Barmy Army campaign highlighting the rip off prices being charged by their exclusive agent Island Leisure Lanka. If you don’t want to pay £56 a day for an advance ticket (currently the only option) then be prepared to buy a grass bank ticket on the day for a fraction of the price.
I've gotten rather partial to grass bank viewing since Antigua last year, is that generally where other BA members will be for singing and so on? Sounds like easy to walk the ground if buying advance tickets elsewhere or day of?

Richard

I'd suggest you turn up at the ground the morning before the test starts and buy your tickets at that point - then go and have a mooch inside the fort.

SarTommo

We went to Sri Lanka for all three tests last year and booked the tickets through bookmyshow.com and they certainly didn't cost £56. I know they were initially charging that, but as somebody has already pointed out, the Sri Lankan cricket board buckled and did release some cheaper tickets which we just collected from the box office at the grounds on the day. In Galle when we went to collect our pre-booked tickets they'd sold out of the tickets you could buy the same day, so suggest if you're going to do that to get there early. It's pretty expensive to stay in Galle so we stayed in Weligama and just got a Tuk Tuk every day to the ground (we had the same driver who drove us to the ground and picked us up after the day's play - you'll find this happens a lot in Sri Lanka). Next year we're staying close to Unawatuna where the BA stay and will just travel to the ground on a daily basis. We loved Sri Lanka although we wasn't particularly fond of Colombo...there's a lot of con artists so just beware. But the people everywhere else are amazing! It's a brilliant place to tour so just get it booked and enjoy it!

tomogriffo

Hi,

Will be my first England game abroad. We are travelling Sri Lanka for 3 and a bit weeks and will be in Galle for the first day. Staying in Unawatuna so looking to see if my accommodation will sort some tickets out for me, if not i'll try and grab one on the day. Random question, do many Welsh follow England Cricket away?

YorkshireHat

I wouldn't leave getting tickets to the day of play, it may well be sold out before then. Book on the Lanka website and pick up day before, or as your hotel if they will sort them for you.

tomogriffo

I wouldn't leave getting tickets to the day of play, it may well be sold out before then. Book on the Lanka website and pick up day before, or as your hotel if they will sort them for you.
I don't really fancy paying £56 from that website. I'll see what the accommodation can sort as local tickets are cheap as chips. Happy not to sit with the BA

DC Burnside

Got the (american) wife in tow for the first day at least. Will need to buy in advance for at least first couple of days. Can anyone confirm from experience that if I buy in advance for one of the non-VIP seated areas, I'll be able to walk the ground, spend time where BA end up congregate? Want to avoid being lodged in a seat all day.

(FYI they dropped their prices)

Blueandy1mac

Hi,

Will be my first England game abroad. We are travelling Sri Lanka for 3 and a bit weeks and will be in Galle for the first day. Staying in Unawatuna so looking to see if my accommodation will sort some tickets out for me, if not i'll try and grab one on the day. Random question, do many Welsh follow England Cricket away?
Too many😉
Seriously, not many really which is a shame as its their/your board as well. You won't be alone tho, hope you enjoy it.

YorkshireHat

Notice that the Colombo game is st the SSC and not the R. Premadasa International.

Anyone shed a light on how it compares?

SamDraycott

Hi Guys, any advice advice for getting tickets to both games? I know they can be purchased from etickets but at about £45. Happy to do that but don't want to be in a restricted area or something where I can get to the rest of the England fans etc.

Can anyone shed some light on what their plans are? Many thanks