Best Places to stay in Barbados and Antigua

Evoofsale

Hello Barmies. We are planning to go to watch 2 tests in the West Indies in March next year, Boris permitting, and would like some advice on where to stay. I don't think our budget will allow for going on a dedicated cricket tour, so taking a punt on Tests being played at the above 2 venues, where should we be looking at for accommodation ? Where will the bulk of cricket followers be staying, rather than resorts which may be full of people with no interest in cricket. Any help would be appreciated, so that I can start having a look round before the actual venues are announced.
Cheers

thejester

Hello Barmies. We are planning to go to watch 2 tests in the West Indies in March next year, Boris permitting, and would like some advice on where to stay. I don't think our budget will allow for going on a dedicated cricket tour, so taking a punt on Tests being played at the above 2 venues, where should we be looking at for accommodation ? Where will the bulk of cricket followers be staying, rather than resorts which may be full of people with no interest in cricket. Any help would be appreciated, so that I can start having a look round before the actual venues are announced.
Cheers
Hi Evoofsale,

I did my first ever tour to the WI in 2009 and did all 5 tests. (Jamaica, Antigua x 2, Barbados & Trinidad) I am also thinking or touring again to the WI next year after a number of years away.

Antigua is less straightford than Barbados in my view as the ground is slap bang in the middle of the island, miles from anywhere. Most English fans stayed around the English Harbour area, my son and I though stayed in an place called the Pineapple Beach Club in Long Bay, expensive but good.

Barbados is simple, just stay in the St Lawrence Gap area. There are many hotels and it will be where most England fans are based. Lots of easy transportation into Bridgetown and back. Make sure you have a Friday night in Barbados and head to the fish market at Oistin's, best night we had on tour.

It will be interesting to see where the 3 tests will be played, but I'm guessing Antigua will probably get one, Barbados is a certainly to get one and the last one could be anywhere ?

Good luck.

Evoofsale

Hi Jester,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. Much appreciated. I will start to have a look around now that I am armed with a bit of inside knowledge.

Cheers

Heathe59

We have been the past 4 tours to the Windies and had a blast. Definitely thinking of going to the one days and 1 of the tests.
Trying to work out which grounds and thinking if Richard/Botham trophy that Antigua would be the final test although in the past it has been Barbados.
keep checking fir the dates as the prices will go up up overnight

thejester

If I had to make a punt on the 3 venues, it would be like this :

1st : St Lucia
2nd : Antigua
3rd : Barbados

The bottom line is that there is one test venue up for grabs in my view. If I didn't go for St Lucia, it would then have to be Jamaica (Where I saw us bowled out for 51 in AS's first test match as captain, so not great memories !!) or Trinidad.

Be interested in other views ???

Martinw17

St Lawrence Gap is the popular choice by far and it leads easily down the main road to other areas as well. By far much smaller and less nightlife but nonetheless still really good is Hometown, north of Bridgetown, bit more upmarket but not by loads and still a really good option to consider.

Evoofsale

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. At least I can start looking at some places to stay, to get an idea of cost etc. before the venues are announced. Can't wait.