Ashes 21/22 - boxing day test

DM90

Good evening folks.

Decided to stop putting it off and actually tick off the elusive bucket list trip - the boxing day test at the MCG.

Assuming everything is back to relative normality in 14 months time, I have a few queries which the more experienced travellers can assist with.

Firstly - how readily available are tickets? Appreciate its a huge stadium but most likely the most popular of the 5 tests. Would I be better waiting for tickets to go on sale before committing to flights or is it a case of everyone who wants one will get one?

I'll be staying in Australia until after the New year with the intention of flying home January 2nd, so my next question - does everyone usually stay in Melbourne for NYE or do the majority move onto Sydney? As internal flights seem frequent and cheap I would probably look to follow the crowds.

Thanks

NickShaw

I went last time but through an organised trip. I think pretty much tickets can be sourced with the first day the hardest to get. We stopped in Melbourne for NYE but it seemed most people had moved to Sydney.

DM90

Thanks for the reply Nick.

I've since had a look around and seems like getting a ticket for each day will be doable as I'll only be after 1.

Booking.com have accommodation on sale now for those dates, I was being quoted 3x the price for hotel/apartment in Sydney so I've just booked an apartment in Melbourne for two weeks.

Fingers crossed everything is confirmed including full capacity crowds by time flights go on sale

Luton Cobbler

Good evening folks.

Decided to stop putting it off and actually tick off the elusive bucket list trip - the boxing day test at the MCG.

Assuming everything is back to relative normality in 14 months time, I have a few queries which the more experienced travellers can assist with.

Firstly - how readily available are tickets? Appreciate its a huge stadium but most likely the most popular of the 5 tests. Would I be better waiting for tickets to go on sale before committing to flights or is it a case of everyone who wants one will get one?

I'll be staying in Australia until after the New year with the intention of flying home January 2nd, so my next question - does everyone usually stay in Melbourne for NYE or do the majority move onto Sydney? As internal flights seem frequent and cheap I would probably look to follow the crowds.

Thanks
I've been to the last two Boxing Day Tests independently. Tickets are relatively straight forward to come by as long as you don't mind too much where you sit. Keep an eye on line for when tickets go on sale and just get them as early as possible. No day at the last two has been a complete sell out.
Personally I would stay in Melbourne for NY. The fireworks and celebrations are now as good as Sydney. For hotels and a good viewing spot in Sydney you will pay through the nose. In Melbourne the fireworks are all over the City.

Nottingham Nick

For anyone interested in the Boxing Day Test - AirBnB properties are now available to book for the Christmas into New Year period. The one we booked is cancellable - they required a 50% deposit, which is fully refundable up to a couple of weeks before if anything goes wrong.

Martinw17

I stayed in Melbourne a few years back for NYE and it was great - they have several firework displays all over the city and it was a great night. I wouldnt worry about staying for NYE whatsoever, mind you I preferred Melbourne to Sydney on the whole so I might be being bias but again, its still going to be a great night.