Ashes 2021 - General queries

Bigtasty1982

Hi All,

Im lucky enough to have a brother in Australia so head over fairly often but never been when the Ashes have been taking place.

In an ideal world id get to see a day or so at each of Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.

Is there any suggestion of provisional dates anywhere? Ive had a look around and struggling to locate anything.

From reading the info on the Melbourne post below it seems fairly possible to get tickets for that match, any ideas on both the Perth and Sydney tests being much smaller ground, despite the move to the new Perth stadium, is this possible too or is it better to call on my friends in Perth and Sydney for assistance?

Nottingham Nick

I am new to the Barmy Army, but have been lucky enough to watch lots of cricket in Oz and New Zealand on several trips 'Down Under', and have always been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to get tickets for games, as independent travellers.

I can see the appeal of Barmy Army travel and other companies that offer bespoke trips, where everything is done for you, and the stress is removed almost completely. However, we like to do our own thing.

I haven't done the Ashes yet, but did the World Cup in 2015 and got tickets for all the games we wanted - including England / Oz at the MCG.

The Oz and NZ ticket outlet is Ticketek - https://premier.ticketek.com.au/ - we have accounts in the both the Oz and Kiwi versions, and found them to be excellent - they inform you of the on sale date and the tickets can be printed at home very easily.

Assuming that Covid is thing of the past by the back end of next year and full crowds are allowed.

I stand to be corrected but, if you plan ahead, and get in early then I think it will only be the first coupe of days at the MCG that may present a challenge - the first day of the Boxing Day Test is something of an Aussie institution and is very popular. Having said that, when we did the ground tour a few years back they told us it had only been sold out a couple of times, and they were AFL Grand Finals. It is a BIG ground! The new Optus stadium in Perth is also huge.

I am looking forward to reading tips on here from more seasoned fans than us.

Nick

Livsc77

We are hoping to go as well for the Melbourne Test and also to the SCG.... anyone know the date the SCG starts? Some forums say NY day and other says about 3rd???

Rob4321

My wife and I are considering doing 3 or more Ashes tests. It will be our first cricket tour (although we were in the SCG in 1999 to see Darren Gough's hattrick!), and having started to do some desk research I'm amazed at how little info I can find on-line. I'd suspected tickets to be tied up with tour packages (as this is our experience with rugby) but Nottingham Nick's post sounds encouraging - so we might yet travel independently. However, if we decide to go with a tour group, can anyone help with two questions: 1) There are so many tour companies that will be offering Ashes tours but none have lists of packages, or their prices, yet - do the companies differ much in what they offer for a given price? 2) Anyone aware of blogs, or travel journals, from attendees to the 2017 Ashes?

Goal Machine

We're planning on going ourselves for Perth and Melbourne. No dates available as yet, but the previous 3 series have been as below:

If anyone is able to offer advice on the best way to get tickets within the Barmy Army section, that would be really helpful. Ideally looking to avoid a package tour as bringing the WAGs

Year2017/18Dates
Test 1Brisbane23-27 NovemberMon-Fri
Test 2Adelaide2-6 DecemberWed-Sun
Test 3Perth14-18 DecemberMon-Fri
Test 4Melbourne26-30 DecemberSat - Wed
Test 5Sydney4-8 JanuaryMon-Fri
Year2013/14
Test 1Brisbane21-25 NovemberThu-Mon
Test 2Adelaide5-9 DecemberThu - Mon
Test 3Perth13-17 DecemberFri - Tue
Test 4Melbourne26-30 DecemberThu-Mon
Test 5Sydney3-7 JanuaryFri-Tue
Year2010/11
Test 1Brisbane25-29 NovemberThu-Mon
Test 2Adelaide3-7 DecemberFri-Tue
Test 3Perth16-20 DecemberThu-Mon
Test 4Melbourne26-30 DecemberSun-Thu
Test 5Sydney3-7 JanuaryMon-Fri

Luton Cobbler

I've been to the last 2 Ashes series out there. The only way you will get tickets in with the BA is to join them and hope they have sufficient to meet demand. Priority will go to those taking their package tour and not necessarily leave any for the independent traveller. Independently you can travel at a fraction the cost. If you can't get BA tickets then the chances are you will be able to get tickets in close proximity. People tend to move around to escape the sun. In Sydney we spent the morning in one stand and the last two sessions in the opposite stand next to the BA. Nobody said a thing.
Keep looking at the Cricket Australia website for details of when the games will be played and when tickets will go on sale. There will be priority windows for their Members and members of the various State sides. It's then a case of jumping on the website (probably in the middle of the night) and buying them. With the exception of the MCG, Days 1&2 will probably sell out for each Test reasonably quickly. I was at MCG when there was a record 94,000 in but there were still empty seats.

Last edited:

Luton Cobbler

My wife and I are considering doing 3 or more Ashes tests. It will be our first cricket tour (although we were in the SCG in 1999 to see Darren Gough's hattrick!), and having started to do some desk research I'm amazed at how little info I can find on-line. I'd suspected tickets to be tied up with tour packages (as this is our experience with rugby) but Nottingham Nick's post sounds encouraging - so we might yet travel independently. However, if we decide to go with a tour group, can anyone help with two questions: 1) There are so many tour companies that will be offering Ashes tours but none have lists of packages, or their prices, yet - do the companies differ much in what they offer for a given price? 2) Anyone aware of blogs, or travel journals, from attendees to the 2017 Ashes?
Rob - book it yourself and save a fortune. I went for about 6 weeks last tour and I would estimate paid out about 50% of what I would have paid on a package. Booking hotels and internal flights is dead easy and you are not tied down, for example between Tests last time we took a week out in Cairns and the Sunshine Coast.
If you search Ashes reviews 2013 & 2017 a few reviews come up

Maxsubbarow

Looking to do my first tour away this winter for the Ashes. Hopefully, get a day or 2 at each of the tests. Anyone able to help me with a rough guide on how much to budget? As I say, I'm a complete novice here and looking for the most affordable way to do it. Any help here would be massively appreciated!